💬 Translate 💬

Monday 2 April 2018

[Part 3] Getting My Driving Licence : KPP 02 Litar Practical

Please read this post, which is a summary on how to get a driving licence, as well as the previous part(s) before reading this one if you haven't already.

        In my previous post, I talked about doing the KPP 01 test and passing it. Hence, I then received my Learner's card a few days later at my driving school's counter where I scheduled my next step.

        It's time for the fun part of getting a driving licence. Actually driving.


        KPP 02 is a 5-and-a-half hour class where you drive the learning car around "obstacles" in the school compound's circuit. These "obstacles" are:



  1. Driving over a hill
    • No, not those huge hills that a lot of highway roads travel on. The hilltop is usually around 1-2 people tall. Your objective is to stop the car's front wheels on the yellow line placed right on the hilltop.
  2. Driving over a ramp
    • This only applies to those taking the DA class (auto). Think of it as trying to get the car to go over a sidewalk. There are about 3 things you need to do at the ramp with the car.
  3. Parallel parking
    • Ah, the infamous side parking. This is where you need to park the car in a horizontal rectangular parking space without crossing the borderline.
  4. Three-point parking
    • Same thing as Number 3 but with a vertical rectangular parking space. You also need to complete the process in only 3 movements, nothing more.
  5. S-shaped road
    • As what the title implies, you'll have to drive the car through a small curved road. It may sound tricky but you should be fine if you drive slowly and carefully.
  6. Z-shaped road
    • This might be more of a challenge compared to the S-shaped road. You might want to pay more attention to your blindspots when doing this obstacle or else you might cross the line and it's game over for you.

        I'm only doing a summary on them because I'm lazy I'm pretty sure they're already explained in your textbooks. Just because I said they're virtually useless in my other post when it comes to information, it doesn't mean that I'm advocating the disposal of said textbooks. Do flip through and take the time to read it, especially if you prefer learning through words than through the actions of others.

        In my driving school, D class (manual) learners drive the Perodua Kancil while DA class (auto) learners drive the Perodua Axia. If I'm not mistaken, they might have various models so just hope that you don't get unfortunate luck of having to use the complicated version during tests. People were having trouble opening the boot of a Perodua Axia because its model type made the boot to be opened by pressing the buttons on the keys for a longer time or something.

        After registering myself at the counter, I met up with my instructor and got into a learning car with them. For the first round around the circuit, my instructor drove at each obstacle and explained how to do them. The do's and the don't's, essentially. I was also taught to raise my arm out of the window and sound the horn after completing each task in order to alert the future JPJ officers who will evaluate me when the time comes. Just prepare yourself mentally for the impending condescending yells or looks they'll give you even when you're doing something right.
Hey wikiHow, can you make a guide on how to deal with yelling JPJ officers for us poor souls?
        Oh right, ensure that you are well hydrated throughout the class. It's okay to bring along a small bag filled with snacks and water with you. Chances are you might catch the afternoon Sun while driving in the circuit and, coupled with the possibility of not having the air-conditioning system switched on in the car, you may find yourself drenched in sweat (and internal tears). I was allowed to roll down the windows and my eventually-overconfident driving helped to blow some cool breeze into the car, but it wasn't enough for a puteri lilin like me.

        After making sure that I understood the ways of each obstacle, I was handed over the wheel for the entirety of the class by my instructor. The first challenger to step into the ring is driving over the hill. From my observation, it seems that manual cars have more difficulty climbing up the hill than auto cars. It must've something to do with the gears and all. The climb was a bit slow for me because I'm a coward who would rather be painfully careful than to even dare have an ounce of self-confidence. Fortunately, this reign of terror was brought down when I was finally familiar with the entire circuit and the instructors watched under a tiny gazebo as I zipped through the obstacles for the rest of my KPP 02 classes as if I was a counterfeit Speed Racer. Just remember to pull up the handbrake when stopping on the hilltop or you might find yourself rolling down backwards.

        As for those who have to do the ramp, you'll need to remember this sequence of events; stop with front wheels touching the ramp, put front wheels on top of ramp, get the whole car onto the ramp, bring car down by going in front, reverse and make back wheels touch the ramp, reverse and put back wheels on top of ramp. That's like 6 things you'll need to do when doing the ramp. Depending on what driving school you go to, you might have to get out of the car from time to time to adjust the placement of the tall pole that helps to see if you crossed the border (that runs horizontally in the middle of the ramp) whenever you put the front or back wheels on the ramp. Passing through that border or hitting the pole with either bumper will be an automatic fail in the test.
The ramp for auto learners. | Source: lp-services.blogspot.my
        Let's talk about parallel parking next. Your movements would consist of; driving forward until your back bumper is aligned with the "head" of the parking spot, reversing into the parking spot, and then changing your reverse way in order to really get into the space. Wait, I don't really have to explain every process to you. Go read the textbook or ask your driving instructor. Three-point parking is similar but this time you have to limit your movements to 3. I couldn't get the hang of both parking styles at first, but constant practising improved my skills. It'll be great if you have a good sense of judgement when it comes to distance and length. Make sure to pull up the handbrake and raise your arm out of the window when you're in the parking space to let the invigilators know that you're a success.

        S road and Z road. These obstacles are fun and easy if you know their rhythm. For the S road, I just let the car go slowly while manoeuvring the wheel following the shape of the road. As for the Z road, I kind of trusted my judgement on when to turn the wheel in each corner. Some people mentioned that they made sure half of the car passed the corner before turning in order to avoid climbing the border. 


        That's all I have to talk about KPP 02. Like what I mentioned, I got the hang of everything quickly and just breezed through the obstacles round after round until my training time was over. You'll probably be driving in the school circuit with other learners so please have some manners. Give way to others when necessary and always use your signal lights. Like, come on, they're there for a reason. It doesn't hurt to be a decent human being.


        Going for driving classes isn't always just sunshine and rainbows. I got in a bit of a discourse with another person because I chose to wait for my turn at an obstacle under the shade of a tree and said person was stuck behind me. Hey, people before me had done it numerous times and they didn't get any repercussions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Discourse person started honking and the car next to me was staring at me as if I murdered someone. When that car went off for their turn, the person came up next to me started to get all condescending on me. "If you don't want to get stuck in hot weather, then don't bother learning here." God, I wish I could. Fuelled by spite and tiredness, I just gave them a good old smile and hit the pedal.


        On another note, I found this blog while searching through pictures to use for this post. Do check it out as it provides really detailed explanations and videos on how to do each obstacles for KPP 02. 


        I don't feel like talking about Rutin Pemeriksaan Kereta (PRK) and Rutin Sebelum Memandu (RSM) because, I'll be honest, I'm just lazy. I recommend checking out this guy's videos where he demonstrates the routines in an efficient and professional manner. I learned a lot from his videos, and I binge watched them the night before my actual test. One tip I can offer is that you have to touch and show every part you mention. For example, if you talk about the signal lights, you have to touch each signal light. Just pretend you’re thoroughly examining the parts. Lastly, know where the important parts are in the bonnet of the learning car you'll be using. You should state out their liquid level readings and measure the engine oil level using that pull-out stick too.



🔆 ~Thanks for reading my post and have a nice day~ 🔆



No comments:

Post a Comment

Perak Matriculation College / Kolej Matrikulasi Perak (KMPk) Gothic

Please read this post fully! The blog shall not be held responsible for any psychological confusion or fear the information may inflict on t...